Monday, August 8, 2011

A corny story...

My parents grow sweetcorn for their family and friends...and I am lucky enough to be in that group!

YES! :)

So-this summer we got some corn from them...

Now-I remember eating corn on the cob all the time in the summer!  I do NOT remember however how long you had to cook it.

Jason and I husked our first batch of corn from my mom and I threw it in a pot full of water and turned to knob up up up! 

The corn came to a boil-and I just let it boil..........and boil............and boil.

I probably let it go for a good 15 minutes.

So here I am thinking-yes, another tasty meal made for my sweet husband-my work here is done.

Not so fast...

Jason took a few bites and said....what is wrong with this corn? 

I said What? Nothing!?  It's sweetcorn!!

He said It is so mushy-and it's not really sweet at all-is this field corn???

NO it's not field corn.  Humpf.....and I stomped off to clean my plate.  I thought the corn was....ok.

Well-a week after this I am at my Mom and Dad's house and we are having corn on the cob for supper.  I bit into a piece and was amazed!

I said to my mom-How did you make this taste so good? 

My mom looked at me weird and said...I boiled it.

After a short conversation on how long she boiled it-I realized that boiling corn for 15 minutes will remove most of the "good tasting stuff" out of it.  Pretty much we had just eaten starch...no sweet!

My mom and dad got a good laugh out of it, and my brother have teased me all week about my crappy corn!

SO-tonight I redeemed myself...I followed my moms directions and just brought the water to a boil and then turned it off....

Jason took a bite-and said.........THIS IS THE BEST CORN EVER!

Just what I wanted to hear! :)

A lesson for all my blog reading, corn on the cob eating friends-boil your corn quick.  It's not pasta! ;)

1 comment:

  1. How do you do with popcorn? Jk atleast you tried.


    Missy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I read each and every one of them! :) Thanks so much!